"OCD" - Neil Hilborn
Sometimes, the internet drops a true gem into your hands. Discovering this was one of those times.
"The first time I saw her
Everything in my head went quiet..."
So begins the most beautiful love poem I have ever had the chance to see performed. I dare you not to feel serious feelings as you watch Neil Hilborn speak of love and loss, a typical subject, granted, but portrayed in such a transfixing way. The thing that is special about this poem, though, is that the relationship in the poem is plagued by obsessive compulsive disorder. For anyone who knows someone who is obsessive compulsive, you can understand how hard it is for that person to function normally. Imagine how hard it is for you, as a relatively normal person, to develop a relationship with someone. Now imagine that you, with all your kinks and downfalls, also have to avoid every crack in the pavement, or have to repeat each motion you do seven times, or have to organise all your items in colours.
The poem begins with the couple's first meeting, and with the girl enchanted by all his quirks. But eventually the quirks become too much for his love and she leaves him alone. The story of so much of love, but so much more heart-wrenching.
I really have no idea whether or not Neil is actually OCD, but his vision of this relationship and the illness is beguiling. Love is difficult enough as it is, which is probably why this poem is the first to almost move me to tears. Please, press play and enjoy his performance mastery for yourself.
And also, have a look at his other work. This guy is a poetry slam genius and I hope, one day, I'll have the chance to watch him perform live.
No comments:
Post a Comment