The idea of feminism being
irrelevant and antiquated is one purveyed throughout society, from the mass
media to the naïve students at the high-achieving girls’ school that I attend. That
is not to say that these people do not want gender equality; they just refuse to accept the fact that feminism is still necessary in today’s society.
A few months ago, a friend
came to me, asking for “feminist help”. Happy to educate someone
new on the importance of gender rights, I agreed. His responses to my texts,
however, were incredibly alarming. Often he would return with, “But women have
their equal pay now. Shouldn’t they just get over it now?” This infuriated me
(just to clarify, he was not
representing his own view and rather trying to make a balanced argument on the
relevancy of feminism for a school project) and at the time I had no real
rebuttal to give except that equal pay was not yet a reality and that there is SO much more to feminism than that. According to the European Institute for Gender
Equality’s Gender Equality Index, even the UK is only three quarters of the way
to economic gender equality. So how can feminism be out-dated if it has not even
achieved what it set out to do?
Well, you see, the issue with
feminism is that it has one fatal flaw: its name. Feminism, as a concept, was first
began to give females the same rights as males, a noble cause. At its core is
still this desire for men and women to be equal, but with this seeming equality
in the Western world, the use of a pro-XX word seems wrong and obsolete. What
is required to revive feminism is gender-neutrality. As a self-professed
feminist, I don’t care for the “girl power” of the 90s; what I want is equality. I want to see young
girls encouraged to be footballers and rugby players, and I want young boys to
be comfortable with the idea of being hairdressers and nurses. I hate the
chauvinism that exists in male-dominated professions. I want things to get
better for females, but that does not mean it has to get any worse for males,
and I think the fear of it getting worse is what puts most men off of feminism.
Another thing that puts not
only males, but also females (myself included!) off of feminism is their perception of feminists and feminism. When I first started reading
up on feminism, the only feminists that I knew were all what I like to call
“militant feminists”; I had heard horror stories of some going to anti-abortion
protests and shouting in the faces of pro-lifers, telling them that their beliefs,
even their beliefs in God, were all wrong. That was not the sort of person that
I wished to be perceived as, and I think a huge proportion of potential young
feminists do not identify as such because of this. You do not need to believe that men are unnecessary for the continuation of the human race and all that crazy stuff! So many people I know think that! And unfortunately, I think even
more young girls believe that calling themselves feminists will make them less
desirable to males, a saddening reality both because it should not do and
because, in my opinion, you should believe what you think is right, not what
you believe will make you more likeable to others.
In my honest opinion,
feminism is just as relevant today as it has always been. Feminism is needed
because there are still more women than men working against domestic violence
and rape culture and numerous other gender-related issues. Males and females must
be seen as equal to discourage wage discrepancies, to obliterate rape culture,
to stop FGM, to end stigmatisation of LGBT communities, to stamp down on
gender-related violence, to normalise “house-husbands” married to working
wives, to kill body-shaming culture, to allow people to be themselves and to be
happy, regardless of how they are.
Yes, I am a feminist and I
will be until the day that I die. You should be too.
No comments:
Post a Comment