Wednesday, 7 August 2013

{Undesirable} vs. Dress Codes

Yet again, this was going to be a fashion post. But my camera hates me so I guess we have to deal with it. Anyway, I guess this is sort of  a fashion post. Here's my stance on dress codes.

First of all, clothing of appropriate standard, which serve purpose both in school and out of school, is incredibly difficult to find. Hardly any item of clothing I see on a regular basis are to dress code standard. Shirts are sheer, jackets are leather or denim, shoes are creepers, trainers or Dr Martens, trousers are non-existent if not jeans… It is becoming impossible to easily purchase clothing adhering to regulation. Why must we, as students, worry about the state of our dressage when we have other concerns, namely our education to focus on? Most American schools do not have uniforms, allowing students to concentrate on their work, and whatever else may come their way. And a growing number of schools in the UK, such as King Edward VI community college in the fabulous town of Totnes (from this Guardian article), have dropped uniform allowing students to only adhere to the 3Cs rule – clean, comfortable and covered up. Should that not be the way it is for everyone? As long as you’re clothed and ready to learn, should uniformity really matter?

Secondly, on the case of bullying, I do not agree that bullying is classist. Bullying is pervasive regardless of your family background. A suit will not make a bizarre girl any more likely to make friends. If you are going to be bullied, you will be, regardless of your monetary status. And I can assure you that, in a girls’ school, though they would like you to think it, brands do not really matter. You are genuinely more likely to be ridiculed for carrying a Prada bag around with you 24/7 than for a simple unbranded one, because it will make you the abnormal one. And self-expression through clothing is honestly more likely to make you real and genuine friends. If you wear a suit, everyone is the same until you get talking. But when wearing your favourite band tees, people will come to you and ask about your music taste, say that they like the same music and socialise. Freer dress codes allow potential friends and acquaintances to be pre-filtered for you, which is especially useful for socially challenged introverts such as myself.

Finally, with a disallowance of “skirts longer than 10cm above the knee”, “satin” and “tops with straps thinner than 5cm”, it seems that the dress code targets mostly females for indecencies. Dress codes are often innately sexist, not giving women the freedom to wear short skirts, in particular. Why? Is the view of my upper thigh suggestive? Does the sight of my exposed shoulder attract males? As a feminist, I refuse to alter the way I dress to save lustful boys from temptation. Rules like this perpetuate the classic rapist defence, “Her skirt was too short. She was asking for it.” I refuse to condone that. I refuse to adhere to regulations set to place the responsibility of sexual attraction on the female alone. In the 21st century, this should not be the way women have to live.

On a recent vote taken throughout our school, I was with the year eights, talking to their form tutor who is also my biology teacher. On the question “Do you agree with the proposed dress code?” There was a box to tick for yes, and another for no. He drew in another box, saying to me, “That’s going to piss them off.” I turned to see “jeans” written next to it. Jeans... I concur.

No comments:

Post a Comment