Monday, 26 May 2014

I (Unexpectedly) Enjoyed The Other Woman... Huh?

So, the other day, I went to the cinema with a friend. I was hoping (so hard) that she'd choose to watch X-Men or the new Spiderman movie. But, no. I was dragged, not kicking and screaming because I was trying incredibly hard to be nice, to watch The Other Woman. Yes, that revengey chick flick with Cameron Diaz and Kate Upton and, for some strange reason, Nicki Minaj. I, {Undesirable}, whose favourite movies include the insane, the crude and the hysterical, watched three woman plot against their joint ex-beau. 

Unsurprisingly, I went in doubtful. But I was feeling laughy anyway because a) really amusing conversations and; b) the trailers before the movie were really fucking strange. I mean I nearly curled up into a ball at the shock, horror, intrigue and excitement that I felt at the trailer for Walking On Sunshine (But seriously, it looks amazingly horrifying. I want to see it, but I really don't want to want to see it. It's one of those strange desires you can't make stop...). The first few scenes, I felt like I had just become the most sceptical bitch ever. I kept pointing out those really stupid bits like the fact they were having sex in a hotel room with the door left open. I know, I know, but things like that really annoy me. Except I had to stop because the guy who cheats on them all is Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, who is obviously very attractive and therefore watching him be attractive was good.

Anyway, I thought I would hate the movie because the concept, for one, is so ugh. And also because Kate Upton has no waist. I know it isn't really a real reason but really she has no waist at all. How can you be attractive without a waist!? Look! 
Seriously though, I love Kate Upton, I adore her face so much. I think she is gorgeous. Like, damn girl look at that face! She looks like a modern-day Marilyn Monroe forreal.
I also think it must really hurt to have such large boobs (I have back issues anyway, I cannot imagine what it would be like if I had actual serious boobs) but good on her for making a career out of them. Girl should save that money though because age hits boobs hard. But, yet again, I need to point out that there is no waist there. I just cannot understand how a body that celebrated has so little waist definition. It makes so little sense.

Wow, that was such a sidenote. I got distracted. I love her face so much. It's the cutest...

ANYWAY, the point is, I really was surprised to find that I actually liked the movie quite a bit. It was strangely brilliant to see three women stand together against a man. Rather than females flocking to males, in this movie all of the women abandoned the man who had been messing them around. And the best thing to see was a woman who had been married almost since she left college gain the strength to leave her husband, even after such a long time. I definitely did not enjoy the revenge element. It was fucking harsh to see the guy with his face smashed in, his whole body bloodied and then punched in the nose. But it was so nice to see all three of them free of him. 

Oh, I almost forgot. Even better is the fact that at the end of the movie, the 'wife', Kate, who is played by Leslie Mann is shown simply as being a career girl. There is no 'new love' addition to her storyline, and that I like. I do not like, however, that Kate Upton's character, Amber, ends up with a five or six-time divorced potential grandfather. I just feel as if this makes her character one of those who are used until he is done with that and then moves on. It seems a bit shit. I do like Cameron Diaz's character's storyline, mainly because Taylor Kinney (who she ends up with) is hot, but also because she has been strong and independent for as long as it has worked for her and she realises that it is not an actual way to live her life. For some people that works, but she sees that it does not and she finds someone she loves and settles down. That is how it should be, even though it - unfortunately - hardly ever is.

To sum it up, The Other Woman was a pretty decent movie, with good intelligent humour throughout and surprisingly believable characters. They played to the dumb blonde stereotype with Amber and to the incredibly intelligent and hard-working opposite blonde with Carly. We even had an awesome black girl in the form of Nicki (I loved her. I really did not want to love her but I did.) I think all of the characters were wonderfully likeable, even the cheating Mark. Even though I recognise it to have portrayed females in a vengeful and negative light, it portrays males equally badly. As a feminist, I greatly appreciate that the two genders are presented as equally bad and childish, but for once the people who deserved the win actually won. So no, I did not hate it. It was not the worst movie I have ever seen and I do not regret the money I spent on that cinema ticket. 

Thank you and goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment