As a self-proclaimed feminist, it's not unusual for me to be found, unreasonably angered by the sort of situation that would not even register in the minds of the vast majority of the population. Take for example, the latest advert for Birds Eye, referred to as 'The Proposal'. Since the first time I saw the adverts, I have sat fuming as the banter of a supposedly average couple transforms into the everyday sexism that we as females have been socially programmed to stand. But the most incriminating line of this advert: "If you carry on cooking like this I might have to marry you." Witty, right? And of even further frustration, after this atrocity of a statement, the woman in the situation does not react at all. The theme of their adverts are The Food of Life. The most irritating thing about it is that Birds Eye is trying to make these adverts seem like normal, everyday life and in doing that, and showing the advert in between primetime shows, they are teaching young women the wrong thing to expect and tolerate. All this anger, for one line in an advert.
So, obviously, I - some might say - overreact to what I perceive to be sexist. But one might ask how I react to the sexism in the music industry. Listening to rap music from a young age, I might be immune to the crazy real sexism in that genre. But, of late, I've been noticing it in other music. And with my music basis so strongly entrenched in the past, especially the 60s, it's inevitable that it crosses my path. Yet, I am still at a loss on whether or not to stop listening to the music. Would you? Do sexist lyrics warrant that? I think, if it incites enough disgust, sure, why not. But what if it just leaves you with a slightly bad taste in your mouth? What if you just cannot be sure? The Police's 'Roxanne' is the one song that causes me the greatest problem.
Here's a rundown of my thoughts whilst listening to this song. And also the song just below:
"Roxanne. You don't have to put on the red light. Those days are over. You don't have to sell your body to the night."
The singer is telling Roxanne that she no longer needs to sell herself. She can free herself. I mean, Roxanne could probably decide that herself but never mind, Sting. As you were...
Sidenote - I would really like to hear Roxanne's side of this...
"Roxanne. You don't have to wear that dress tonight."
Uh, what if Roxanne likes that dress? What if she thinks it makes her look sexy? I don't know, I don't know...
"Walk the streets for money. You don't care if it's wrong or right."
First of all, I know this is a euphemism, but prostituting is harder than walking the streets. It really is a much tougher job.
Secondly, is it wrong or right? I think his saying this makes me wonder whether the singer - Sting - thinks that it is wrong or not. And whose place is it to say whether it is wrong or right? In my personal opinion, there is nothing at all wrong with prostitution. Being sold into the sex trade, that is a different matter. But I strongly believe that for some women, this is the best way for them to make money. So why should we demean that? Why Sting!?
"... Roxanne - Put on the red light"
RoxANNNNNNEEEEEEEE
RoxAAAAAAAAANNNNEEEEEEE
RoxAAAAAANNNNNEEEEEEE - PUDOHWN THE RED LAAAAAIGHT
"... I loved you since I knew ya"
Ahem. Incorrect grammar.
But that's cute. How nice.
"I wouldn't talk down to you"
That's great. He respects this girl, despite the fact that he cannot seem to get over her being a prostitute. At least he wouldn't talk down to her!
"I have to tell you just how I feel. I won't share you with another man."
WoahwoahwoahwoahWOAH. Did you not just say you wouldn't talk down to her? And now you're telling her you will not share her with another man? Not that you don't like sharing her with another man (Men, by the way. Prostitutes don't just sleep with one man. If that's the case, she may or may not be cheating on you, sorry!). You are telling her you will not. How rude and condescending of you. Having just said you basically respect her, you sure are not showing it.
"I know my mind is made up, so put away your make up."
ARE YOU FOR REAL, MAN? This guy has made the decision for Roxanne that prostituting is no longer for her. He has decided. That is pretty darn sexist.
And apparently now that he has made this decision, Roxanne cannot wear any make up. Can you imagine this level of male ownership? A woman is no longer allowed to make herself look pretty because she has already been bought, taken off the market. Disgusting.
Wait, isn't that the point though? He wants her to stop being a prostitute because she doesn't need to sell herself? Or is it that, now, he only belongs to her? That he has bought her and taken her away? Does that not make him her pimp? I'm confused...
Wait, isn't that the point though? He wants her to stop being a prostitute because she doesn't need to sell herself? Or is it that, now, he only belongs to her? That he has bought her and taken her away? Does that not make him her pimp? I'm confused...
"Told you once I won't tell you again"
I'm done, I'm actually done. How can he even say that? As if he is her parent. "Roxanne I have told you once, I will not tell you again. You need to stop prostituting." What a dick. I'm so done...
"... Roxanne..."
PUDOHNTHERADLAAAIIIIIGHT
PUDOHNTHERADLAAAIIIIIGHT
PUDOHNTHERADLAAAIIIIIGHT
PUDOHNTHERADLAAAIIIIIGHT
So, what I am trying to say is that, as yet, 'Roxanne' has escaped my feminist boycott because it's catchy as. I love The Police. They are fantastic. Sting's voice is fabulous and their bass lines are some of my favourites in any music. But I still cannot say I love 'Roxanne'. I just cannot get past how awful this character - I am not saying it's Sting by any means - acts towards Roxanne, who appears to be his girlfriend. He is just a terrible person. I could not date such a person. He seems to be trying to save this girl but he cannot do it without being the worst human alive. So after almost a decade of listening to and adoring every musical quality of this song, I will never admit I love it. To anyone. It is just against my feminist sensibilities. Sozguise.
No comments:
Post a Comment